10 May 2011

Before and After Projects

A couple little projects I've made for my apartment.

Found this coffee table at St. Vincent's thrift store on PCH (BEST THRIFT STORE EVER) for 9 bucks:



A lot of sanding, priming, painting, waxing, polishing later:


This next one, Mike and I took on together when he was in town visiting - it was a good practice project for him to teach me how to refinish wood the right way.  Got this little nightstand at, where else, St. Vincent's for around ten bucks:


Decided to do a two-toned piece to showcase the gorgeous cherry wood - without having to refinish the entire piece, which I wasn't that invested in.  This involved a LOT of sanding by hand, stripping of the gross shiny old lacquered finish, many coats of antique refinishing oil, and many coats of natural paste wax, with much time for drying and polishing and re-applying.  On the painted parts, there are about five coats of paint and a couple coats of wax.  I finished the piece with Anthropologie knobs I dropped way too much money for and lovely paper by Snow and Graham from my new favorite Long Beach store, Blue Windows.




I recently sold the coffee table, but holding on to the nightstand for now.  Can't wait to find the next piece to work on!

No comments:

Post a Comment